When a user has an active QuickBooks Desktop payroll subscription and the user tries to download the updates, then QuickBooks Error 15106 may be displayed. How to resolve the QuickBooks Update Error 15106? What are its possible causes? When is it displayed? This article will provide with a detailed analysis of these questions and provide troubleshooting methods to fix it easily.
What are the Causes of QuickBooks Desktop Error 15106 and How is it Displayed?
While working with QuickBooks Desktop, many users may face technical issues and messages like “The update program is damaged” or “The update program cannot be opened”. These messages are shown because of the QuickBooks Error code 15106.
The basic cause for the occurrence of Quickbooks Payroll Update Error 15106 is the presence of “Spy sweeper” in the Webroot antivirus software. Also, you might not have logged in with the username having admin level rights. By logging with restricted rights, the ability to read and write new files gets limited. This ultimately results in the difficulty to perform the required task.
You should keep in mind that Error 15106 QuickBooks messages can occur in Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP, ME, 2000.
You May Also Read: QuickBooks Error 1920 – How to Fix
How to fix QuickBooks Error 15106?
The users can follow the underneath steps to fix the QuickBooks Error 15106. The user can follow one step at a time then check whether the error is resolved or not. There is no requirement to follow steps orderly.
- The first thing a user should do is to log in as the administrator. This may help in fixing the issue to a great extent. In case the issue still persists, follow the next rectification step.
- Sometimes, the spy sweeper creates trouble. Users can check out its presence in their systems by following below steps.
- Press Ctrl+ Shift+ Esc on the keyboard.
- Go to Processes Tab > Search Spy Sweeper.exe. Please note that if you are not able to find the file, proceed to the fourth step.
- Select the file, then click on end process. If an error occurs, then you need to uninstall Webroot Spyware Sweeper using Add/Remove programs in Windows.
- Locate the C:\Programfiles\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)\Components and rename the folder download qbxx to download qbxx.old. Please note that xx is the year version of your QuickBooks.
- Then reset the QuickBooks Desktop update.
- If after following the above steps a user is not able to rectify the QuickBooks Error 15106, then you need to turn off the User Account Control temporarily depending upon the Windows version used by the user.
- If you are still unable to download updates, then you need to perform a clean uninstall/ reinstall in Selective Start-up.
The Steps for Performing a Selective start-up are listed below.
- Press Windows+ R on the keyboard to open Run command.
- Now type “msconfig”. Click on OK.
- Go to General Tab and select Selective Start-up and Load system services.
- Click on Services Tab > Select Hide all Microsoft services > Click on Disable.
- Now, unmark the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
- Go through the list of services and ensure the Windows installer checkbox is selected. If it is not selected, then tick mark it and click on OK.
- Go to the system configuration window and click on restart.
- Once your device opens up, install, uninstall or reinstall QuickBooks Desktop using a clean install.
You May Also Read About: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 15107?
Even after trying and testing the above solutions the Quickbooks Error 15106 is not resolved, then the user can call on Quickbooks Desktop Support 1-888-905-3553where he would be assisted by experts for solving the issues and problems.